It is common for fan heaters to be brought into workplaces! Whilst this is not an issue, when plugged into extension sockets, for instance, can lead to overloading extension leads.

Most extension leads are rated at 13A, although some are 10A, the rating being marked on the extension itself.

For instance, a fan heater rated at 8-9A, plugged into an extension lead with other appliances already plugged in, can overload it causing it to overheat and possibly cause a fire.

It’s never good practice to plug high power rated appliances into extension leads or indeed plugging extensions into other extensions.

In addition, it’s not good practice using block adapters as they’re easily overloaded and 2 way adapters are not fused.

For instance, always plug heaters directly into wall sockets to avoid the problem of overloading extension leads.

For information about the risks of overloading extension leads and preventing these potentially lethal situations happening please Get in touch.

Avoidance now can save you a lot of money (and, above all, save lives) in the future.

The images below show examples of burnt / burning out leads.

If you’d like to know more about what I get up to at Durham PAT testing please don’t forget to follow me on my Facebook page.

Facebook icon